Benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane)Brand Name:
Benzocaine Liquid is used for:
Treating pain from mouth and gum irritations (eg, canker sores). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Benzocaine Liquid in a local anesthetic. It works by numbing sensitive and painful areas.
Do NOT use Benzocaine Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzocaine Liquid or to other local anesthetics (eg, butacaine, procaine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzocaine Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzocaine Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzocaine Liquid. Because little, if any, of Benzocaine Liquid is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Benzocaine Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzocaine Liquid:
Use Benzocaine Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An adult should supervise the use of Benzocaine Liquid if the patient is a CHILD younger than 12 years old.
- To use a dose of Benzocaine Liquid, follow the instructions provided by your doctor or on the product label.
- Wash your hands before and after you use Benzocaine Liquid. Apply medicine to the affected area by using cotton, a cotton swab, or a clean fingertip.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after using Benzocaine Liquid.
- Do not use Benzocaine Liquid within 1 hour of your previous dose or use more than 4 times per day, unless your doctor or dentist tells you otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of Benzocaine Liquid, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzocaine Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Do not get Benzocaine Liquid in your eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 7 days without checking with your doctor or dentist.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Contact your doctor if you have persistent or worsening pain, redness, or irritation, or if you develop swelling, rash, or a fever. Tell your doctor if you have mouth sores that keep coming back.
- Benzocaine Liquid may cause harm if more than the amount used to treat pain is swallowed. If this occurs, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Benzocaine Liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without checking with the child's doctor or dentist; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Benzocaine Liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzocaine Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Benzocaine Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzocaine Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzocaine Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); mouth burning, irritation, redness, swelling, or tenderness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Benzocaine Liquid may cause harm if more than is used for pain is swallowed. Symptoms may include blue skin or lips; trouble breathing.Proper storage of Benzocaine Liquid:
Store Benzocaine Liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Benzocaine Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzocaine Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzocaine Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benzocaine Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Americaine Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Anacaine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Anbesol Extra Strength Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Rid-A-Pain Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information